Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Faster Than A Speeding Bullet

Today I started my Spring Vacation trip to Taipei. I met Jennifer in front of the school at 3pm, well it was supposed to be 3, but she runs on Island-Time like everyone here. Jennifer’s Auntie took us to the Chiayi HSR (High Speed Rail) Station. There we had to exchange the tickets I had purchased online earlier in the week, because we changed stations and time. High speed rail travel is the way to go; we went from Chiayi to Taipei in an hour and 32 minutes. We paid about ten dollars extra to ride in the business class car, it only has two seats per row and they give you complimentary drinks. A very smooth and fast ride, everyone should try it at least once. We arrived in Taipei and took a taxi to Jennifer’s Grandmother’s house, where we will be staying. Jennifer’s Mother lives about ¼ mile away and she prepared a dinner for us. Jennifer’s family is so sweet, they are all afraid that I am not being taken care of well enough. Jennifer’s mother was making curry for dinner, and after about five minutes of them trying to get me to understand that she was making curry, I mentioned Thai curry. They had never tried curry with a coconut base, so Jennifer’s mom reached under the counter and pulled out a container of coconut milk and put it in the curry, it was a huge hit. I met Jennifer’s younger sister and her voice just busted me up, I had to constantly bite back laughter. She has the voice of an Anime girl when she isn’t getting her way, it slays me. After dinner we sat around and Jennifer caught up with her family. We headed back to her Grandmother’s where they were talking on Skype to Jennifer’s Auntie that lives in Texas. Her Auntie married an American 25 years ago, so after a while Jennifer dragged me in to talk with her auntie. I had a wonderful conversation with her Auntie for about an hour; well it was Jennifer, her Auntie and I talking. Her husband is in Taiwan right now, and will be taking us out for dinner Friday. Jennifer’s Auntie had a lot of good ideas of things to see while I am here. I am going to sign off now; I miss you all and will talk to you soon.

No comments: